Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy Kindling New Year

Kindle, it used to be a perfectly acceptable verb and now, thanks to Amazon, it's a noun and brand. Nonetheless I like some of the associated definitions. Kindling works as either a noun or a verb:
  • material for starting a fire
  • ignition: the act of setting something on fire
And kindle, as a verb, has several evocative meanings:
  • kindle - catch fire; "The dried grass of the prairie kindled, spreading the flames for miles"
  • kindle - cause to start burning; "The setting sun kindled the sky with oranges and reds"
  • kindle - arouse: call forth (emotions, feelings, and responses); "arouse pity"; "raise a smile"; "evoke sympathy"
I thought of the word this morning in relation to scripture reading of all things. Maybe trying to jump into daily scripture reading is like trying to ignite a large block of wood. You'll waste your match unless you have some kindling. So I'm going to start 2010 by taking a look through my marked copies of the scriptures. To me that's like getting a fire started with some kindling. I'd like to be a strong spiritually as the pixilated guy appears, of course I'd also like to be that strong physically, mentally, financially, romantically--well you name it. Here's to kindling strength in each other, in our loved ones, and in ourselves in the New Year.
So those are a few of my thoughts on this first day of the year. What do you think? As you look ahead what do you see on the horizon, or perhaps just beyond it, for the year ahead?

No comments:

Post a Comment